LIBRARY DISPLAY CASE POLICY
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees
January 10, 2011
Revision approved February 14, 2022
The Wauconda Area Library offers its main display case, located in the front vestibule of the Library, to non-profit groups and individuals based in the Wauconda Area Public Library District for the display of civic, cultural, educational, and public information exhibits. The Library invites individuals and groups to share their artistic and informational materials with the community. Use of the display case is subject to the following rules and regulations:
- A Display Case Reservation and Agreement Form must be completed and signed prior to any public use of the display case.
- Permission to a group or individual to use the display case does not constitute the Library’s endorsement of the policies or beliefs represented in the display.
- The Library assumes no responsibility or liability for the preservation, protection, loss of or damage to any part of a display at any time. All items brought to and placed in the library are done so at the owner’s risk.
- While displays consistent with the Library’s mission are always welcome, The display case may not be used for:
a) Promotion or representation of partisan or individual candidates’ political meetings or events (such as political rallies, demonstrations, movies, fundraisers, promotion, protesting, or endorsement of political candidates or agenda).
b) Promotion or representation of specific religious or philosophical/motivational groups
c) Promotion or representation of personal or family interests
d) Promotion or representation of a for-profit business
e) Displays of a polemic or discriminatory nature
f) Display of material which is obscene, defamatory, invades a particular person’s privacy, or incites violence.
g) Promotion or representation of any activity or purpose that is in violation of local, state, or federal ordinances or laws, including copyright and public performance laws
- The Library’s display case is not available to individual political parties, candidates, or to individuals or groups who wish to use it to support or oppose political parties or candidates.
- The Library is not in any way involved in the sale of any exhibit item. No prices or price lists are to appear within the exhibit, nor will library staff give any indication of an item’s value unless this information is requested by an interested party If the display involves works of art or crafts that are for sale, the artist or crafter may leave a price list with the Library. Interested parties may inquire with Library staff for a price list set by the artist or crafter, but all possible sales or negotiations are between the artist or crafter and the interested party. The exhibitor’s contact information may be posted at the exhibitor’s discretion.
- Determination of the appropriateness of the display or material for posting is solely the decision of the Library Director or delegated representative.
- The Library reserves the right to enhance displays with Library books and materials that the Library believes will contribute to the presentation in its sole and exclusive discretion.
- No group may reassign the use of the display case and the display must appear as described in the approved application.
- No hardware, equipment, or objects are allowed in display or in the setting up of the display that may result in the damaging of any of the display case. If such damage occurs, the group or individual responsible for the display will be held responsible. The potential for any such damage may be considered grounds for denial of the display case application. If the setting up of the display would interfere with normal Library activities and work, the display will not be permitted.
- The display case must be restored to its original clean condition upon the end of the display term by the displaying party.
- Priority will be given to Library-sponsored displays.
- A display will generally remain in the case for one calendar month.
- A short description with or without photograph(s) of the display may be included in the Library web site, newsletter, email newsletter, local newspapers, or community newsletters, at the Library’s discretion.
- The use of a Library display case is a privilege -- not a right -- and is subject to the Library's sole and exclusive discretion. Accordingly, the Library reserves the right to deny the use of the display case to any group or individual.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel any scheduled display in its sole and exclusive discretion.
- If a group or an individual violates the policies or procedures associated with the display case, future use of the display case will not be permitted.
- If an organization is denied the use of the display case, it can appeal to the Library Board of Trustees at the next regularly scheduled monthly meeting.
 The purpose of the Wauconda Area Library is to provide and promote a variety of library resources and services in response to the informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs of both the residential and business communities.