A history of the Wauconda Area Public Library in pictures. 1939-present.
The Library Opens
01/19/1939 - The Wauconda Leader newspaper clipping of the opening of Wauconda Public Library
1939: Wauconda Women’s Club
1986 Building Grant
Library trustees receiving the Build Illinois grant check in July, 1986 at the Osage Street library, pictured left to right: Paul Mulvaney, Secretary of State and State Librarian Jim Edgar, Board President Robert Jonak, State Senator Richard "Dick" Klemm, Marion Wight, Head Librarian David Erickson, Andy Gebhardt, Carol Kapheim, and Terry Stevig. Trustee Sharon Crivello not pictured here.
1986 Daily Herald article about library grant
1896 Ground breaking by board and library management
1987 Grand opening of new library
1987 Grand Opening
Outside original library building 801 N. Main Street. 09/19/1987 - Library building Grand Opening
First Library Newsletter
09/1992 -, the first issue of Focus, a 4-page newsletter promoting library services and events, was published and mailed to every household and business in the district.
1995 Facility Plans
OWPP preliminary design for new two-story facility - 1995
1997 Grand Opening
Library trustees cut the ribbon at the library's Grand Opening, September 28, 1997. Pictured left to right: Bob Jonak, Carol Kapheim, Terry Stevig, Joanne Miller, Kathie Carr, and Peggy Whitman.
The Wauconda Area Library was named Library of the Year in March, 2005, by the North Suburban Library System (NSLS).
2015 Grand Opening
Library trustees after cutting the ribbon at the library's Grand Re-Opening, April 18, 2015. Pictured left to right: Mary Hultquist, Gina Jefson, William Pankey, Ernie Kosty, Deb Hughes (standing), Joanne Miller, and Terry Stevig. Library Director Tom Kern at far right is holding a letter of congratulations from Illinois State Comptroller Leslie Munger, presented at the ceremony.
2004 - Wauconda Area Community Information Network websit
02/2016 - New Website debut after renovation