Wauconda Area Public Library District
INTERLIBRARY LOAN POLICY
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees
February 11, 2013
Wauconda Area Library provides patrons with access to materials from other libraries through interlibrary loan (ILL). As a member of RAILS (Reaching Across Illinois Library System), Wauconda Area Library adheres to the policies and procedures established by that group, which are based on the Illinet Interlibrary Loan Code and the American Library Association Interlibrary Loan Code. Wauconda Area Library also adheres to the resource sharing policies established by OCLC WorldCat.
1. Loan requests will be accepted from registered users in good standing of any library, however a $2.00 per item fee will be charged to out-of-district patrons. This fee will be payable when the requested item is picked up and will be charged to the patron whether the item is picked up or not.
2. Wauconda Area Library will not request:
a. Items owned by the Wauconda Area Library unless the item is missing or long overdue (more than one month).
b. New items with a publication date of less than six months prior to the request.
c. Items in a format Wauconda Area Library does not lend to other libraries.
3. Due dates are set by the lending library; ILL items will be checked out with the due date given by the lending library (up to a maximum of four weeks), regardless of when the patron picks up the item.
4. Borrowed items may be renewed one time for one week by contacting the Interlibrary Loan Department or the Reference Desk on or prior to the due date. For longer renewals, patrons should call the Interlibrary Loan Department or the Reference Desk at least three days prior to the due date. Overdue items will not be renewed. These renewals are at the sole discretion of the lending library and cannot be guaranteed. In all cases, items may only be renewed once.
5. Patrons may not repeatedly request an item, or have another household or family member request it in an effort to circumvent the standard loan period plus renewal. There will be a one-week wait between the time a patron returns an ILL item obtained from an in-state library and the time any member of the patron's household may request the item again. In the case of out-of-state loans, the waiting period will be one month.
6. Wauconda Area Library does not buy textbooks for its collection. Since it is not the purpose of ILL to provide continuous availability of an item, a specific textbook can only be borrowed once every three months, even if the lending library is in-state, with one renewal.
7. Requests are limited to five per patron. This includes items that are pending, in process, received and/or renewed.
8. If the lending library charges a fee for ILL items, Wauconda Area Library will pay up to $10.00 in a 6-month period for in-district patrons only. Any cost exceeding that amount will be passed on to the patron, should the patron choose to proceed with the transaction. Out-of-district patrons will be asked to pay the full amount. Payment will be due whether the items are picked up or not.
9. If the ILL item is received by the Wauconda Area Library and meets the patron's criteria for timeliness (deadline) and accuracy, the patron should come to the library to pick up the item. If the patron cannot be reached by phone or e-mail, or if the item is not picked up within ten days, a fee of $2.00 per item will be charged.
10. If an ILL item is not returned by the due date, it will be considered overdue and the Wauconda Area Library will charge the patron an overdue fine of $1.00 per day for videos and 25¢ per day for all other items until the item is returned, up to the replacement cost of the item, plus any processing fees. Replacement costs and processing fees are determined by the lending library. Replacement materials will not be accepted. Fees must be paid at the Wauconda Area Library and are non-refundable.
11. Wauconda Area Library offers ILL for local book clubs. Requests cannot be for current bestsellers or new books. Requests for book clubs should be made by one person in the group by contacting the Adult Services Reference Desk or the Interlibrary Loan Department and are limited to five requests for one title at one time per book club. Because these loans often already have lengthened loan periods, renewals are not allowed.
12. Interlibrary loan will not be offered to patrons with temporary cards.
1. Wauconda Area Library will lend materials to libraries within the United States. Local demand will determine whether any item will be available for loan and the length of the loan period. In general, books and audiovisual items will be loaned for thirty days.
2. Wauconda Area Library will lend most materials that are available except new popular items and non-circulating items. Consideration will be given to lending these items at the discretion of Interlibrary Loan Staff. We will not lend items in formats that we will not request for our own patrons.
3. Circulating items may be renewed one time if there are no local holds on the item.
4. Interlibrary loan requests will be processed within three days of receipt.
5. Wauconda Area Library will not charge fees for the lending of its materials.
6. Wauconda Area Library will email or fax up to fifteen pages for a single request and copy up to thirty pages for a single request.